If you’re looking train one of the most adorable of all Chihuahua tricks to your little dog, then this is the trick for you! The sit up and Beg Chihuahua trick is fun and easy to teach and brings out the “awww!” from anyone who sees it performed.
There are a couple of things to keep in mind before you teach this Chihuahua trick to your dog.
- Is your little pup strong enough to do this Chihuahua trick?
Sitting up to Beg takes a lot of abdominal strength. Your little Chi will need to build up his tummy muscles slowly as he learns this trick. Practicing this trick will be similar to you doing sit-ups at the gym, so only practice this trick for short periods of time. If you dog has any back problems, skip this Chihuahua trick and teach him something that is less physical challenging.
- Remember that there is Begging and then there is begging.
As with any behavior that is rewarded using treats, your cheeky Chihuahua could turn this Chihuahua trick into a bad begging habit. Reward your dog for performing this and all tricks only when you have asked him to show off. Begging when told to, is good doggie behavior; begging to get a bit of your dinner is bad manners and can lead to health problems.
How To Train This Chihuahua Trick
Unlike large-breed dogs, Chihuahuas are particularly capable of doing the Beg. With his tiny size, this Chihuahua trick will be easy for your little dog to learn as long as you are consistent and patient.
Before your little friend can learn this Chihuahua trick, he needs to know how to Sit first. Once he knows how to Sit like a good dog when asked, then he will be ready for this adorable Chihuahua trick. Here is how to train your tiny Chi how to sit up and Beg, step-by-step.
- The first step to this Chihuahua trick is to have him sit in front of your pooch and ask him to Sit. Reward him as usual with bit of treat and tell him what a good boy he is.
- Hold a treat just above his nose. Say “Up!” in a happy, excited voice and draw the treat slightly up and back to lure him up. At this point in the training of this Chihuahua trick, your pup will either jump and try to snatch the treat or stretch tall to try to get it. If he stays Sitting, but reaches his nose up as high as possible, tell him how good he is and give him the treat. If, on the other hand, he jumps up to steal the treat, hide the treat and tell him “no.” Then start again with Step One.
- Keep practicing Step Two, and gradually raise the treat a bit higher each time. If, at any point, his little rump raises off the ground, tell him “no,” remove the treat, and start over with Step One. The goal of this Chihuahua trick is to have your darling dog lift his front feet off the ground while still keeping his little bum in the sitting position. Continue to practice until your Chi is sitting up, like a groundhog – only cuter!
- Practice for short periods of time, several times a day. As your little dog builds up his tummy muscles for this Chihuahua trick, he will be able to hold the Beg for longer periods of time. Once this trick is easy for your Chi, give him the “Beg” command but wait a couple of seconds tell him he is a good dog, and repeat the command but don’t give him his treat. After he has held this adorable pose for a moment or two, tell him “Good Beg!” and give him his treat
Remember, this trick takes a lot of strength, so don’t expect your little friend to hold the Beg for very long at first and always give him the treat before he drops his front paws down. This will help him to associate the treat with trick.