Are you ready to teach this fun Chihuahua trick to your little princess? Teaching your dog to Dance is fun and fairly easy for a small breed like a Chihuahua. This fun Chihuahua trick so a real crowd pleaser and will have everyone who sees is saying “awww!”
There are a few important things to consider before you can teach this Chihuahua trick to your little friend:
- Is your little dog strong enough to do this Chihuahua trick?
Dancing requires a lot of abdominal and leg strength. Your Chi will need to build up strength in her tummy muscles slowly. You will need to practice this trick a just a few times a day until she builds up her strength.
- Is your pup healthy enough to do this Chihuahua trick?
If your little dog has any joint problems, you should skip this Chihuahua trick and teach her something that is physically easier for her.
- Is she ready to do this Chihuahua trick?
There are several prerequisites that your dog will need to have been taught before she can learn to dance. All three of these tricks will combine to create the Dance.
- Your Chihuahua must be taught to Sit. Take the time to teach your pup to sit readily and comfortably when asked to.
- Once your Chi has been taught to Sit, then she will need to learn to Sit Up and Beg. This is a relatively easy Chihuahua trick to teach. This trick will help your Chihuahua build up the muscles she will need to Dance; consider them this trick her workout!
- The last trick your Chihuahua needs to learn before learning to Dance is to Stand on her hind legs.
How to Train This Chihuahua Trick
Compared to other breeds, little Chis are particularly capable of doing this trick. Their small bodies and strong hind legs, make this Chihuahua trick simple to learn, if you take the time to let her build up her strength. Let’s take a look at how to teach this Chihuahua trick, step-by-step:
- Sit comfortably in front of your pup and ask her to Sit. This Chihuahua trick is often used as a starting point to other tricks and will let your little dog know that school is in session!
- Give your dog the “Stand” command and hold a bit of treat just above her nose. Be sure to use a happy, excited voice so that she puts some energy behind her performance. When she lifts her little front feet off the ground, give her the treat! Be sure she doesn’t snatch the treat from your hand, but stands politely waiting for her reward.She should only get her treat when she has completed the trick and been told “Good Girl!” You don’t want this cute Chihuahua trick turning into bad manners.
- Practice the Stand until it becomes easy for your dog. As she builds up her strength with this trick, gradually increase the duration of time she has to hold it before being given her reward.
- Once your precious pooch is able to stand easily for several moments, she is ready to learn to boogie! Ask her to Stand and hold the treat just out of reach. Slowly lure her into taking a step toward the right or left. Whichever you choose, always use the same direction. As soon as she takes just one tiny step, praise her and give her the treat!
- Over a period of several days, gradually increase the amount of steps you have your dog take before giving her the treat. Remember, learning Chihuahua tricks is like learning a whole new language for your dog, so be sure to always keeping things positive and upbeat!
- Keep adding more steps until your little ballerina is able to complete a pirouette.
- Once a single dance turn is easy for your dog, you can ask her to spin another and then another slowly, over time. Eventually you can even start to teach her to spin the other way, adding to her dance-floor repertoire!