One of the first Chihuahua tricks you should teach your little dog is the Lay Down. The Lay Down is considered a basic behavior and is just good manners. It is also a prerequisite to Chihuahua tricks such as Roll Over and Play Dead.
Why Train a Chihuahua Tricks?
You might wonder why to bother training your precious pup to do tricks. After all, his main job is to be a cuddly companion, and he already does that very well, right? There are several compelling reasons to take the time to teach your Chihuahua tricks, even if just the basics.
A well-mannered dog is more enjoyable to be around. We’ve all met them – those ill-mannered, yappy little dogs that give Chihuahuas a bad name. By teaching your Chihuahua tricks such as Sit, Stay, and Lay Down, you will have a little dog that everyone will enjoy spending time with because he will have at least basic obedience training.
Training time is bonding time. Every time you focus your attention on your Chi to help him learn a new trick, you are deepening your bond with each other. The time spent interacting, teaching and rewarding your pup will help create a better relationship between you and your dog.
Mental stimulation is important for a happy dog. Chihuahuas are highly intelligent little dogs and training your Chihuahua tricks stimulates his brain. Brain stimulation and training will help keep your dog from looking for trouble.
Chihuahuas need attention. Your Chi loves you and will do whatever is necessary to get attention from you; even if that means doing something naughty. When you train your Chihuahua tricks, you will be rewarding positive behavior and eliminating the need for seeking attention through negative behavior.\
Teaching the Lay Down, Step-by-Step
Before you can train this Chihuahua trick, your dog will need to know how to Sit first. Once she has mastered the Sit, you can grab your treats and move on to the Lay Down. Also, keep in mind that the command “Down” should not be used to when trying to keep him from jumping up on you or off-limit furniture. The “Down” command should only be used when referring to laying down to prevent your pup from getting confused.
- Have your Chi sit in front of you, then either sit or kneel so you are closer to her.
- While she is still in the Sit, hold a treat in front of her nose.
- In a calm, clear voice say “Down.”
- Slowly lower the treat to the ground in front of her front paws.
- Your little dog should naturally do this Chihuahua trick by following the treat to the ground. As soon as her chest is on the ground, give her the treat and lots of praise!
- Repeat steps 1-5 several times throughout the day, until your little friend easily lays down when asked to.
If your pup doesn’t seem to want to follow the treat down, you may need to try this alternate method.
- Start this Chihuahua trick with your little dog sitting next to you, facing the same direction as you.
- With one hand attempt to lure her into the Down position with a treat as you say “Down.”
- Put your other hand behind her front legs and gently slide them forward.
- She will naturally end up laying down and when she does, give her the treat and say “Good Down!”
Practice often and always keep the training sessions positive and your little dog will have this Chihuahua trick down like a champ! Eventually you will both be ready to practice lying Down in different locations and on different surfaces. This is also a good Chihuahua trick to combine with the Stay command and can be used to keep your little dog safe in difficult situations.
Once this Chihuahua trick is second nature to your Chi, she will be ready to expand it into the adorable Roll Over or Play Dead Chihuahua tricks; both of which will have everyone you know saying “Aww, how cute!”