While you can’t actually teach your Chihuahua to say “Yoquiero!” you can teach him to bark on command. While this is not one of the more common Chihuahua tricks, it can be a fun Chihuahua trick to teach your little pup.
While not impossible by any means, teaching Chihuahuas tricks can be more challenging than large-breed dogs. Their tiny size may cause them to become intimidated easily and a lot of small dogs won’t even take treats from your hand, so finding their motivation can be tricky.
The key to training your Chihuahua tricks of any kind is to keep things very positive! Praise and love is a much stronger motivation than fear and intimidation. Throughout the training process remind yourself that this is supposed to be fun for you both; a chance to deepen your bond with each other.
Another important motivation is the perfect treat. If your Chihuahua is finicky, you may need to do some experimenting to find the treat that he just can’t resist.
Finding the Perfect Treat
Choose a soft treat which will be easier for your Chihuahua to chew
Find a treat that can be broken into smaller pieces
Use the treats ONLY when your training your Chihuahua tricks
Human food is never a good choice
Always give the treat to your dog accompanied with lots of praise
Before teaching this fun Chihuahua trick to your pup, take the time to teach him the basics such as Sit, Lay Down, and Come. These manners will make learning new tricks easier and ensure that your little prince doesn’t turn in to a little monster.
How to Train this Chihuahua Trick Step-By-Step
- The first step to this Chihuahua trick is finding a trigger that makes your dog bark naturally. Most Chi’s tend to be on the yappy side, so this shouldn’t be too hard. For example, if he tends to bark every time someone knocks at the door, that is the perfect trigger for this Chihuahua trick!
- Enlist the help of a friend to knock on the front door or provide whatever trigger works for your little pup. This will take a bit of coordination so that the command and the trigger happen within one or two seconds of each other for this Chihuahua trick to work.
- With your baby-dog on a leash, sit in front of him and have him sit. This will help him understand that school is in session!
- Tell your Chi to “Speak!” in a happy, excited voice. Immediately have your friend apply the trigger. When your dog barks, give him lots of praise and say “Good Bark!”
- Give him his treat as you say “good bark!”
- Bring him back to a sitting position and repeat steps 2 through 5 several times throughout the day over the course of a few days.
- Once your pup understands the command for this Chihuahua trick you can remove the trigger of your friend knocking at the door. Keep practicing and your precious pup will be having a “conversation” with you!
Do’s and Don’ts of this Chihuahua Trick
Don’t allow your Chihuahua to “speak” more than a couple of times before giving him the treat.
Don’t let him around like a crazy dog whenever the trigger is applied. Keep him close to you and his attention on you all through the Chihuahua trick training session.
Do use a lot of praise along with a bit of treat whenever he speaks on command.
Don’t give him a treat just for barking! Your pup should only get his reward for barking on command!
What do you do if you have one of those rare Chihuahuas that rarely bark
First of all, count your blessings! While one of the sweetest and cuddliest of dogs, the breed does tend to like to make itself heard! If you are having a hard time finding the trigger that gets your little gentleman to bark, this Chihuahua trick will be a bit more of a challenge for you. Try this:
Bring out his favorite treat and make a big show of how tasty it is. Tease him a bit in a high pitched, excited voice by saying “Do you want this treat? Do you?” or something similar. Eventually, your Chihuahua should bark out of shear frustration. The very second that he does, say “Good Speak!” and give him the treat.