One of the cutest chihuahua tricks your baby can learn is to offer his paw to shake hands. A lot of people don’t bother to train their Chihuahuas to do tricks, but spending time with your little dog training him adorable Chihuahua tricks will deepen the bond you have with each other and provide him with mental stimulation. Teaching a Chihuahua tricks may take a lot of patience, but the quality time you get to spend together will make it worth the effort.
How Chihuahuas Learn
Chihuahua trick training is often called “behavior modification.” That means that you aren’t really teaching him to do something completely new or foreign, instead you are taking a natural behavior, such as lifting his little paw off the ground, and modifying it. This takes time and patience but Chihuahua tricks are so cute and provide you with a chance to bond. Here are a few key points to keep in mind when training your Chihuahua to do any trick:
Never Use Punishment – It is important that your little darling trust you. Chihuahuas are often timid and any sort of punishment, even harsh words, can shut down the learning process. Always be loving and positive when training your Chihuahua tricks.
Keep it Fun! – Training time should be a special time for you and your pup. Keeping the sessions positive will ensure that you both look forward to this time together as you train your Chihuahua tricks!
Praise and Reward Often – When you are first teaching your little friend a new trick, be sure to give him his favorite treat every time he tries to do what you ask. Even if he doesn’t get it perfect, reward him with praise so he will be more likely to try again to get it right.
Keep it Short – Chihuahuas are like small children; they have somewhat short attention spans. Keep this in mind when training your Chihuahua tricks and only practice for short periods of time.
Have Treats on Hand – Have a treat pouch or sandwich bags filled with small bits of your Chihuahua’s favorite treats on hand during training sessions.
Teach Your Chihuahua How to Shake
The Shake is a cute Chihuahua trick that will get a lot of “awww” from anyone who sees it. This is also one of the easiest Chihuahua tricks to train. Before you can teach this trick to your favorite pup, she will first need to know how to sit. Once you have trained your Chihuahua to sit, she will be ready to learn how to shake!
When first teaching your baby how to shake, always ask for the same paw. She may end up being ambidextrous, but save that for advanced training to lessen your dog’s confusion.
- Sit in front of your Chihuahua and ask her to Sit. Once she does, give her a treat so that she is ready for her next lesson.
- Gently lift up her little paw and say “shake” in a gentle, low-pitched voice.
- Keep ahold of the paw, give her a treat with your other hand and say “good shake!”
- Release her paw and give her lots of praise.
- Practice, practice, practice! Repeat steps 1-4 for short periods of time, several times a day. After a few sessions, when you sense that your Chihuahua really understands what the command “shake” means, then she is ready for the next step.
- Hold out your hand toward the same paw you have been picking up, then ask her to “shake.” The Second she offers you her paw, give her a treat and tons of praise. What a smart girl! If she doesn’t immediately shake, be patient. Wait a moment, and then repeat the command again. If she still doesn’t give you her paw, then gently pick it up and remind her what the command means. Never punish her for not obeying; this will only make her fearful.
It won’t be long until this Chihuahua trick is second nature to your baby-dog. Remember to praise often and be patient as your pup learns her way through this new trick and before you know it she will offer her dainty paw every time you introduce her to a new friend!